Friday, April 3, 2009

Why I'm not your average poet....

In my opinion poetry is an art that should in fact be taken very seriously. The lack of good poetry nowadays is something that is very abunudant and I think very obvious. Alot of poets continuously right about the same stuff...Especially African American poets. You have the typical "Black Goddess" poetry, or the "ill stick my mandingo in ur tingo and may u cringo" type of crap. To me thats garbage. When I write, I compose elements of old time poetry, mixed with a little bit of the spoken word elements. The elements that allow me to project my voice and speak my poetry, but include elements of the old. If your going to be a poet, model yourself off of those like Black Ice or Mos Def. Those are poets whose writing is true to the form. Many people think that Black National Pride crap is poetry, but its not. Poetry is an acquired art, not just a bunch of explicit lines. Get it right ppl.....

No comments:

Post a Comment